Saturday, July 28, 2007

This week has gone really fast. I have a feeling that as
the trip comes to a close the time is only going to go
faster. In two weeks I'll be home, but I think part of me
will be left here in PNG. I'm starting to fall in love
with this country and I'm sure I'm going to miss it.

Yesterday we toured the NTM headquarters in Lapilo. We
learned about the importance of support roles in missions.
Especially the role of Dorm Parent. This year New Tribes
had to pull a couple out of a tribe to become dorm
parents. Support roles are often understaffed. This
hinders the work being done out in the tribes.

After a tour of the offices and school we were let loose
to play sports or just hang out at the Kunai Kafe. The
kafe is run by a few of the MK's there. I had a lot of fun
playing carpet ball. (Carpet ball is played on a long
table with a lower box on each end. Each player lines up
their billard balls. The object is to roll a ball down the
table and knock the other player's ball into the box.) I
got pretty good at this game at WOL. So I was really
excited to play some of the MK's. It was a lot of fun.

Overall yesterday was a pretty good day.

Earlier this week I went to the village. Some of the kids
there wanted to show us the new house their dad was
building. It was neat to see that half finished house.
Then we took a lot of pictures with the kids. We also
played a game called "play meri on." It's a fun hand game.

Thursday at the village we sat and talked to some of the
women in Kitigi Fagu (next village up the road). It was
interesting as they told us how marriages work here. They
told us how it use to be and how it is now. We just sat
and talked as they worked on their bilums (bags). It is
times like these that I think I'm going to remember most
about this trip.

Well I should go. People are waiting to use email. Thank
you all for your prayers. I'll post again later.

No comments: